Traditional recycling is often forgotten on the job – especially on construction sites. With large trash dumpsters onsite, it’s common for construction workers to toss their water bottles, drink cans and paper products in the trash instead of recycling them. By providing easily accessible recycling options and encouraging staff to participate, your construction crew can make a big difference in the environment and your bottom dollar. Here are some easy tips to improve recycling at your next construction site:
- Invest in portable recycling bins. Portable recycling bins in all trucks and trailers makes it easy for construction crews to recycle. Bins can easily be installed, don’t take up much space, and can move from site to site. Not only that, but your business can apply for a BizRecycling Grant to receive free portable bins and signage.
- If you’re recycling on the go, make sure you have a tight lid. Recycling bins with tight fitting lids are best if you’re moving from site to site. This way nothing spills over while you’re traveling.
- Provide easy access to a central recycling collection. Just like having a central, easily accessible onsite dumpster, make sure that your recycling collection is just as easy. Keep a central recycling collection bin or dumpster close to where your trailers and trucks are parked as well as a central collection near your offices.
- Place recycling collection bins next to your trash collection. Staff may not be used to recycling and by habit use a trash dumpster or garbage can. Counter this by providing recycling collection right next to trash collection. Take it further by placing a “Can that be recycled?” sign on trash collection bins.
- Use easy, bilingual labels. To ensure that all of your construction crew understands what to recycle, use labels that are easy to read and if needed, bilingual. Pictures are a great way to make sure everyone knows what to recycle.
- If you’re already recycling, make sure it’s single-sort. Single-sort recycling allows for maximum recycling with minimal space.
- If you need some inspiration, check out our success stories. Peterson Brothers Roofing Company in Saint Paul now saves $240 annually after implementing a BizRecycling program. Check out the story here.
If you have questions or would like to enhance or start recycling at your business, contact us here. If your business is already a recycling champion, let us know! We’ll highlight your business and promote it.